I did the test print using the last sheet of 17x22 Hahnemuhle glossy fine art paper. This paper is similar to the roll paper I use and since I only had one sheet left I decided to use it. I printed the image at 15x20 300 dpi on my Epson 9800 using CS4 since I also have a calibrated target for the paper (using Spyder3Print).
Depth of shadows - great
Asking myself two questions of whether or not I'd place my name of the image and would I'd offer this image for sale the answers are yes.
- Can the Leica M9 act as a companion camera to my Cambo WRS1000/P45+ camera? The answer is yes.
- Are the files from the M9 good enough for large printing? The answer is yes. I can easily see printing in the neighborhood of 20x30 and larger. So long as I do my part; meaning tripod and proper focus, and of course processing.
- Does this mean the Leica M9 is better than my 39 megapixel digital medium format back? The answer is no. It is however close enough for me to take on those long hikes where carrying a full load of medium format technical gear isn't a good idea.
- Am I happy with the combination of the Cambo WRS1000/P45+ and Leica M9? Oh hell yes!
- I like the size and weight of the camera and found that I don't need the extra handle to make it feel more comfortable.
- I'm glad I brought the thumbs up device as I feel it helps.
- I'm glad I brought the soft button as I found it also helped when using gloves in Yosemite.
- The screen protector is a must.
- I really didn't have problems with the battery however I'm still glad that I have a second.
- I really didn't like the camera strap and am very glad I was able to find a replacement.
- Carrying the camera and 3-lenses (and the extra battery) weighed far less than a DSLR and way way less than my medium format kit. Because of the weight factor I found myself willing to walk more and much farther thus finding interesting areas (who knew of the Yosemite Cemetery).
- While the majority of the images were captured handheld I did nevertheless used the camera on either a monopod or tripod which greatly helped.
Sandy and I have a trip planed for Moab in the summer and currently my thought is to take only the M9 for long hikes into Canyonlands. We also have a trip to Jackson Hole WY in October and will be taking all the gear there. So stay tuned.
Thanks for visiting and please feel free to leave a comment.